Meeting a Deadline (or Parkinson's Law **)

I wonder what it is about a deadline that encourages me to plan to complete it with two minutes to spare?

Why, if I am told that I have three weeks to submit some pictures or copy to an editor, don't I do it in the first week, and have the other two off, in the South of France (OK, I know the answer to the South of France bit...it starts with the words "lack of" and ends with the word; "money".)

But, the principal is the same. Even if I don't go to the S of F (or even Ballybunnion) I could do some extra work, or look for more work, or...you get my point. I was no different at school. I crammed for exams the day before I sat them and tidied up the house just as my mother was coming down the garden path!

I'm sure I'm not alone in this. In fact I'd go so far as to say I'm fairly "normal" (or, at least, "average".)

Anyway, I got a deadline for some text for a book 5 weeks ago and it closed two days ago. My editor's a nice guy though, and he gave me a bit more time - until tomorrow. I really must get on with it and stop bloomin' blogging for a while!

** "Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion. Cyril Northcote Parkinson: in "The Economist", 1955 - which just happens to be the year I was born. So, that might explain everything!

Comments

  1. I think you are like many creative people and journalists in that way... The pressure of waiting until you have just enough time to spare in order to complete an assignment and then having to fight the clock is all part of the fun:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please give your name when commenting.

All comments will be moderated, so please allow for a slight delay before your post appears on the Blog.

What Can I do for you?

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts