New Photography Studio



If You Build It - Will They Come?


People starting a new business in the midst of a recession might be likened to firefighters. They run into a burning building, when everyone else is running out! The big difference being, of course, that firefighters know what they are doing, and carefully consider their actions - and the risks - before making a move.

Earlier this week, I signed a lease agreement on an 800 square foot premises in The Old Creamery Business Centre, in the small village of Ardagh (I say arr-dah), County Limerick, close to where I live. The village is probably best known for the the discovery, in 1868, of The Ardagh Chalice, which is thought to have been made in the 8th Century, and is one of the finest examples of Celtic art ever discovered. I can't swear that what will be found in my studio will equate with the Ardagh Chalice, in terms of its artistic value, but I am hoping that it will be deemed valuable - to some degree!

It's a strange feeling signing a contract to rent a commercial premises. There is no guarantee that the business will succeed - and some pundits claim that only about 1 in 3 start-up businesses turn a profit. And, that's based on figures taken when the economy was a lot healthier than it is nowadays. So, I'm feeling very nervous - but I'm also feeling very excited. And, I've never been one to shy away from a challenge - well, hardly ever!

The photograph above, which I took today, shows work in progress on the reception, toilet and kitchen areas being built inside the main studio. My basic plan for the remaining floor space is to divide it up into "People Photography", "Product Photography" and "teaching areas".

I'll keep you posted with new progress photos in the next week or so. I should be ready to open by early April 2009 - and if you're on my email list, I'll be sending you an invitation to the studio-warming party! If you'd like to come - send me an email and I'll add you to the mailing list, just to be on the safe side!

Oh, I don't have a name for the studio as yet. A friend suggested "Chalice Studios & Photography School" (after the Ardagh Chalice). But, if you have any other suggestions - let me know. I'm even considering offering a prize to anyone who suggests a name I use - if I didn't think of it already! (hints: my surname is Power; it's a photography and teaching establishment; it's in Ardagh, County Limerick, Ireland).

Comments

  1. 100% Good luck to you Stephen. My business (web side), has just clocked over its 11th year and its hard hard hard, but very rewarding. I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would the prize be a paid visit to see your new establishment? I might be creative in that case...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the new venture looking forward to seen it when finished

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! It looks like a great space for a photography studio!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 10-1 you make more money teaching than shooting for clients.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fab Stephen. I'm sure you'll make a good go of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you the very best in your new studio! If you can make it in the recession.... Just imagine what business will be like when its over.
    Best Wishes,
    Vince T.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please give your name when commenting.

All comments will be moderated, so please allow for a slight delay before your post appears on the Blog.

What Can I do for you?

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts