My 15 Minutes of Fame**

Not long after hearing about interview fatigue from a famous photographer, I was invited to be interviewed on video by students on a Media Studies course at Limerick Senior College. I'm actually hoping that it will the first of many such experiences, because I think that the first-hand experience of a new phenomenon far outweighs simply being told about it.

Anyway, I had a very pleasant "15 minutes" in the company of my young interviewer, Thomas Keane and his sound and vision crew, over at the college's recording studio. I was told we would make two takes of the questions - Tom explained that this was in case HE made any mistakes, and they could cut the better take into the recording. I have a sneaking suspicion, though, that the real reason was to allow for MY mistakes, because when we finished the first take, no one seemed interested in doing take 2, and I insisted on it (well, no, I asked nicely - because I had enjoyed the first one so much).

Interestingly, I had watched the excellent movie "Factory Girl", only a few days before, and when they sat me on a chair with a powerful light aimed straight at me, and the crew all stood up behind the camera, with Tom talking, I was instantly reminded of the scenes of Andy Warhol filming Edie Sedgwick in his "Factory" studio. So much so, in fact that I asked Tom to interview me sitting down.

That said, everyone was extremely polite and I felt very welcomed. It's a long time since I have been treated with such deference, to be honest. Well, that was until I handed out an 8"x6" comp card of one of my award winning shots, and the camera guy asked if I would sign it. I was very flattered, and said I would when I got back from the loo.

On my return, still flushed with my own self-importance, I hunted for a pen, and offered to sign the card. "Oh,", he grinned "I was only joking!" "Well, I'll sign it anyway" I offered - which I did, and he put it in his bag without reading it. As he's only a slip of a lad, when he does get round to looking at it, he might wonder who the hell David Bailey is!

**"In the future everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes" Andy Warhol

Photo shows interviewer Thomas Keane (right, seated) and his crew at Limerick Senior College, Media Studies Course.

Comments

What Can I do for you?

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts